Frequently Asked Questions
There’s a seemingly never ending list of volunteer jobs on the construction site. While subcontractors perform licensed work, such as electrical, mechanical and plumbing, volunteers are heavily involved in most other areas of construction. We try to take advantage of the various skills within a group and assign tasks according to skill. In general, tasks are divided up as follows:
|SKILLED||SEMI-SKILLED||NEW TO CONSTRUCTION||EVERYONE|
|Sill Plates||Hanging Joists||Party walls||Site Work|
|SIP Walls||Windows||Sheathing Joists||Hauling Materials|
|Cabinets||Drywall||House Wrap||Clean Up|
|Countertops||Insulation, Putty, Caulk||Having Fun!|
If you have construction skills, please let us know as we try to assign tasks according to skill level. But if you don’t have any construction experience that’s OK! What you don’t know, we can teach you. We’ll make sure you feel comfortable with the task assigned. Construction professionals who would like to donate their services can coordinate directly with the Construction Director.
Volunteers need to be at least 18 years old to participate in all construction activities. 16 and 17 year olds can perform limited, safe construction activities. 14 and 15 year olds can help with non-construction activities, such as cleaning, organizing and landscaping, as long as they are removed from any areas where construction is taking place. Younger children can work with their families to provide lunches, drinks or snacks for volunteers or can help with other projects off site.
- Full-day shifts begin at 8:30am and end around 4pm. You’ll break for lunch around noon. If you need to leave early before the group is finished, no problem – we just ask that you check out with your construction crew leader.
- Half-day shifts begin at 8:30am and end around 12:00pm. This is a great option for business groups who can’t take the whole day off or who want to do a team building day. Many groups choose to volunteer in the morning, go out for lunch and then enjoy a recreational activity in the afternoon, such as golfing or hiking.
- We prefer not to have any afternoon half-day shifts.
The online volunteer schedule provides details on the volunteer shifts that are available.
We kindly request that all volunteers sign-up in advance to ensure there is availability at the jobsite. To sign-up: register online, e-mail email@example.com or call 970.748.6718 ext. 127.
Volunteers are encouraged to eat lunch together on site. This is a great time to get to know our Partner Families, staff and other volunteers and learn a little bit about Habitat. Please bring a sack lunch. To cut down on waste, please bring your own mug or refillable water bottle. We’ll have plenty of coffee, drinking water and snacks.
Habitat for Humanity is currently building homes at Stratton Flats in Gypsum. The job site address is 230 Nighthawk Circle, Gypsum, CO 81637. From I-70, take the Gypsum exit (140) and turn left onto Highway 6 towards Gypsum. Go straight through the roundabout and the traffic light by the high school. Go about a mile further, and turn right on Jules Drive (landmarks – look for the Family Dollar store on the right). Take the first left on Sunny Avenue, then the first left again on Nighthawk Circle. Proceed around the circle and park by the Habitat construction office trailer, just past the overflow parking lot.
Please wear layers of clothing so you can work both indoors and outdoors, depending on the task. Wear closed toed shoes or work boots. Bring work or gardening gloves if you have them (if not, we have some at the site). Groups might want to consider wearing clothes or hats that have their logo on them which makes for great photo ops!
The most important thing to bring is a willingness to work hard and have fun! It’s also a good idea to bring a hat and some sunscreen in the summer. We will have all of the tools necessary for the tasks at hand, however if you have your own tool belt and basic hand tools (hammer, measuring tape, utility knife, screwdrivers, etc) you are welcome to bring them. Please make sure they are clearly marked.
Upon arrival, all volunteers should check-in at the Construction office trailer. Please make sure to complete the online waiver prior to your arrival so that you don’t have to take extra time to complete it when you get here. You’ll be asked to clock-in and out at our check in station.
Once the entire group of volunteers has arrived (please make sure to be on time), the construction crew leaders for the day will gather the group together for a morning huddle, where they’ll go over the objectives for the day and share any safety tips and other important information. Next, volunteer tasks will be assigned and you’ll be given tools and any protective equipment needed (hard hat, eye wear). There may be some task-specific training before you start working for the day.
Most importantly, we need you! Habitat really counts on our volunteers and several preparations are made for each volunteer day, including recruiting other volunteer leaders, gathering materials and adjusting staff schedules. However, we do understand that things come up. Please confirm your attendance at least 48 hours before your scheduled volunteer day and notify us as soon as possible of any changes.
- ‘No shows’ significantly affect our ability to provide a great volunteer experience for all involved. Should your schedule change, we ask for the courtesy of 48 hours notice, yet we also understand that last minute things come up. If you have to cancel within 48 hours, please email the Volunteer Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 970.748.6718 ext. 200 as soon as possible.
- Even ‘drop ins’ can affect the planning and therefore experience of everyone involved. We are grateful for your service, however, please call ahead at 970.748.6718 ext. 200 to make sure there is space available and so we can adjust our preparations.
Yes, Habitat for Humanity Vail Valley builds every month of the year. The majority of our winter volunteer activities take place inside of our homes. We also offer unlimited hot coffee and heaters when needed!