2020 Construction Volunteer Information
We are grateful for all volunteers that join Habitat for Humanity Vail Valley to build homes, community and hope!
- Wednesday – Regular volunteers only
- Thursday to Saturday – Partner families/future homeowners
- Sunday, Monday & Tuesday – No volunteers
We are only accepting volunteer groups on a limited and case by case basis. For more info, or to schedule a volunteer day, please e-mail: email@example.com.
COVID-19 Social Distancing Protocols for the Job Site
To protect the safety of all persons on our job site, Habitat has the following protocols in place. Please make sure you are comfortable with and can adhere to these protocols prior to coming on site:
- Currently, Habitat Staff and subcontractors are working on site. A small number of volunteers per day may be allowed on a case by case basis and all attempts to keep volunteers separated from subcontractors will be made to the extent that is possible. However, situations may arise where volunteers are working alongside or in close proximity to subcontractors for periods of time. As a volunteer, I understand that I may come into close contact with others while working at the job site.
- Before I come to job site, I will monitor my symptoms. I will not come to the job site if I have any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath, headache, ear aches, chills, fatigue, muscle pain, sore throat, loss of sense of smell or taste or gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- I will wear a face covering while working indoors with others or when working outdoors within 6 feet of others on the job site. Non-medical cloth face coverings such as bandanas, ski buffs, or homemade masks are sufficient.
- I will not enter the job site office unless it is an emergency.
- I will maintain 6 feet of distance between myself and others as much as possible
- I will sanitize my hands upon entering the job site, after using the bathroom, after sneezing or coughing, before and after eating, and before using shared tools.
- I will wipe down the tools and PPE that I have used at the end of my shift.
Directions to the Build Site
Habitat for Humanity is currently building homes at the Residences at Grace Avenue in South Gypsum. The jobsite is located at the corner of Whitetail Drive and Grundel Way, adjacent to Red Hill Elementary School. From I-70, take the Gypsum exit (#140) and proceed south on Trail Gulch Rd. At the round-about, head east on Hwy 6 towards the Eagle/Vail airport. Drive approximately .6 miles and at the traffic light turn right on Valley Road. Drive 1.5 miles (through round-about) and turn right on Grundel Way. You will see the jobsite on the right-hand side of the road after passing Red Hill Elementary School.
Please park in the field on Grundel Way across the street from the job site.
Check in will be in front of the gray construction trailer that has a sign that says, “Habitat Volunteer Sign in.” All volunteers will have their temperature taken, be screened for symptoms and will be asked to sanitize their hands upon arrival. Masks are required. All volunteers will need to clock in on the computer and sign an updated waiver. Once most volunteers have arrived, we will do introductions and go over the day’s tasks. Tasks could include anything including but not limited to framing, landscaping, painting, tile/flooring installation, cleaning, organizational projects and interior work.
Please arrive at 8:30AM. This will ensure plenty of time to register and be ready for the 8:45AM morning huddle and on site working by 9:00AM. The day will finish by 4PM; if we are on schedule, we will finish up earlier.
What to wear
Please wear closed toed shoes or work boots as well as clothes you don’t mind getting dirty and/or stained! Dress in layers as you may be moving between indoor and outdoor tasks. Bring sunglasses and a hat. Don’t forget your mask!
What to bring
- Full water bottle
- A willingness to work hard and have fun!
If you have your own tool belt and small tools, please label them with your name and phone number first before coming on site. If you do not have your own tool belt, you can check out a Habitat tool belt at check in. Small tools should not be shared between volunteers or staff.
In addition to safety protocols related to Covid-19, it is imperative that all persons on site have an eye for safety. Construction is an inherently dangerous working environment and many safety hazards exist. Habitat staff will discuss safety in the morning huddle. Other task and tool specific safety training will occur throughout the day. If you do not feel comfortable with a task or if you feel something you or others are doing is unsafe, please speak up and let us know! We can always reassign you to a task you are more comfortable with, no problem! Do not perform a task if you do not feel safe! Safety is everyone’s job!
At the end of the day, please take time to clean up the area you were working in. Organize materials in a tidy manner, discard trash and empty trash cans and sweep up your work area. Return all tools to the tool trailer. If you do not know where something goes, just ask. Please wipe down any tools and PPE you used with cleaner and paper towels. Return toolbelt to check in table. Please don’t forget to sign out on the computer.
Can’t make it?
If your schedule changes within 48 hours before your volunteer day, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-524-4663. Please leave a message on the volunteer line.
We encourage you to keep in the loop on all of the great things going on with Habitat!
Other ways to support Habitat!